Speed dating in crewe cheshire
The township later became a civil parish in its own right, and, later still, was renamed Crewe Green to avoid confusion with the town of Crewe, which was adjacent to it.
The station was at the point where the line crossed the turnpike road linking the Trent and Mersey and the Shropshire Union Canals.
The North Staffordshire Railway built a line from Stoke-on-Trent, joining the LNWR from the South East.
Crewe was the centre of a wide-ranging railway network, and freight-handling facilities grew up to the south of the station.
He also introduced mass-production techniques, whereby as many parts as possible were identical between one engine and another.
Ramsbottom retired in 1871 and was succeeded by the legendary Frank Webb, a colourful and controversial figure who was known as 'The Uncrowned King of Crewe'.
In 1936, the railway station was transferred from the civil parish of Crewe to the then municipal borough of Crewe.
As soon as the station opened the Chester and Crewe Railway was formed to build a branch line to Chester and this company was absorbed by the GJR shortly before it opened to traffic in 1840.
Half of these were freight trains which did not need to call at the station, so the company decided to build a separate four-track railway line passing to the west of the station, joining the existing lines beyond the north and south junctions, burrowing beneath them and avoiding them completely.The platforms buildings dating from the 19th century contain two bookshops, bars, buffets and waiting rooms.The last major expenditure on the station was in 1985 when the track layout was remodelled and station facilities updated.The first long-distance railway in the world, it ran from Curzon Street railway station in Birmingham to Dallam in Warrington, Cheshire, where it made an end-on junction with the Warrington and Newton Railway, a branch of the L&M.The station was built in the township of Crewe, which formed part of the ancient parish of Barthomley.